Sylvania Heights Community & Youth Club Inc. was incorporated under the Associations Act of NSW in 1985. We are a not for profit community organisation with a primary focus on sporting and recreational activities for all ages and genders.
The Youth Club had its humble beginnings back in 1956 when members of the Local Progress Association met to discuss a proposal from Sutherland Shire Council regarding the allocation of land at “The Heights” to be developed for sporting activities.
The land in question was located at the rear of the stud farm adjoining Box Road and sloping to Garnet Road.
Communication between Council and the progress Association continued through 1957 with lots of suggestions from residents.
In early 1958, the Progress Association called on all interested sporting stakeholders to form their ‘clubs’. These people then enlisted the help of parents at Sylvania Heights Public School to publicise an inaugural meeting of adults and children to be held in June at the Box Road site to determine the level of interest and likely support.
Subsequently, Sylvania Heights Sports Club was formed.
Fred Lindsay was elected the First President, Fred Malbon and Mr Fowler as Vice Presidents, Ron Lyons as Secretary, Stan Meers as Treasurer.
Sub committees were also formed for the different sports;
Cricket: Ron Smith, Mr Harrison & Mr Maddocks
Swimming: Mr Fowler and Mr Housden
Tennis: Mrs McMaster and Mr Wood
Soccer: Mr Jim Hardie
Rugby League & Boxing: Mr Lewis
Basketball: Mr Fowler & Mr Chenner
In 1961 the name Sylvania Heights Youth Club was adopted to reflect the number of young people participating in sport at the club.
The name was again changed in 1974 to Sylvania Heights Community & Youth Club.